Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Israel trip day 2+3 – Yevul and Ber Sheva

The flight from Newark to Tel Aviv was delayed by an hour (Go, Continental!) but filled with cool people.  I was able to sleep a little (not as much as my sister) and enjoyed the entertainment console.  I did not eat any of the airplane food in order to suppress jetlag and because I was really not hungry.  So far it seems to be working because I feel no jetlag (yet).

We were delayed another 90 minutes getting the Avis car rental where a long line of waiting customers was processed efficiently while the computer systems were had all failed.  The GPS we rented ($10 per day, ouch!) is very good; it is much better than the one in my phone, sigh. 

We tried to navigate a course that would avoid the toll road (#6), avoid the common targets of rockets from Gaza, and avoid the Western areas of Judea where bad guys chuck stones at cars.  We were also looking for a convenience store in a gas station where I could get a local SIM card.  My sister kept asking about how close we were to Gaza and I kept assuring her we were more likely to be struck by lightening and much more likely to be in an accident.  My GPS kept telling her “You are over the speed limit.”  Luckily it was dark so she did not see all the military bases and dirigibles along the Gaza border and I exercised discretion when we passed the junctions that had been targets in the past.  We arrived with only one incident where my sister made a turn too soon and was driving towards an army base in front of Gaza.  But she backed out and we found the correct turn to Yevul.

We had stopped in a convenience store but the Orange SIM card would not work in my phone which kept trying to register with Pelephone  (the first Israeli cell phone provider; it means “magic phone” in Hebrew). My sister stormed in and yelled at me about wasting 20 minutes so I was unable to trade in the Orange SIM for a Pelephone SIM.  She complained about how the restaurant was filled with teenagers carrying assault rifles (grin). 

We arrived at the Wedding shower party where 35 guests were still here.  The food at the shower was to-die-for-awesome!  I love Mediterranean food in general, Israeli food specifically and Moroccan food if it’s authentic and fresh.  We had stuffed grape leaves, fruit, vegetables, eggplant, cheeses and Moroccan sweets.  About 2/3 of the guests had no English but a surprising number knew French.  My sister and I functioned quite well in French (surprise!). And my broken Hebrew always goes a long way.

When most of the guests left, there was a smaller “shower” in the living room where Ella received the gifts.

IMG_1520

The two people on the left behind Ela are Oded’s (her fiance's) parents.  Then is Zafrir and Oded on the Sofa.  Ophfra is in the foreground.

 

Left to right: Oded, Zafrir, Yoram, Ela (foreground), Heidi, Michal, Ofra

 

Eventually (around midnight) I showered and went to sleep.  I was awake at 0530, got online and did some work.  Then at 6am I joined Yoram for a quick coffee and went for a long luxurious jog around Yevul.  The doggies did not run with me this time but I did get some pictures:

IMAGE_353

When you see the barren Negev desert and wonder why anyone would want to live here, the last idea that might pop into your head is to pipe dirty (grey) water from the large population centers up North, irrigate the sand and grow enough flowers and vegetables to feed the region.  It is an affront to common sense and sensibility.

IMAGE_354

The large-scale, industrial “hydroponic desert” farming is extremely successful.

IMAGE_355

Wonderful sunshine.

IMAGE_356

Some of the greenhouses

IMAGE_357

This is a self-portrait at the end of my 10 Km run.  My excuse for turning in such a lousy time is the sandy terrain.

Later in the morning the women woke up and eventually Tzafrir was chased out of bed in order for us to have breakfast.  I love the Israeli cucumber / tomato salad.  We had eggs, bread, olives, cheeses, and pastries as well.  I ate too much.

Michal showed us family photos and home movies that are professionally produced.  Heidi and I are trying to get copies.  I shall distribute them to Rudy and others who want them if I can get them.

some family status:

1 – Tzafrir is going to S. Africa for two months to volunteer on a lion safari reserve to care for the lions.  Then she is coming back and will leave again for another animal job.

2 – Ela’s translation business is going extremely well.  She is expanding and sales are fantastic.

3 – Yotam is doing FPGA and board design (electrical engineering) in Herzliyah. It’s a good company and a fun job.

4 – Oded works as a logistics / scheduling / people manager for Israeli Aircraft Industries.

5 – Yoram and Michal are planning a long trip to New Zealand.

No comments: