Sunday, May 24, 2020

Learn Linux



At a recent Large Installation Systems Administration (LISA) conference I used to attend in the 20th century, one of the speakers gave an introduction to some useful Linux and Bash concepts with examples.  If you are an absolute beginner you will get a lot out of it.

Among the many annoying and self-destructive features of my personality is my tendency to assume everyone knows as much or more than I do about some topic we are discussing, or, more frequently, that everyone remembers everything from all of their college courses.  I noticed at work recently, that my use of pipelines and xargs in a command line freaked everyone out and my suggestions about better bash wrapper script programming was way above the heads of my audience.  

Based on peer feedback about one of my mentees, I strongly suggest that the mentee learn Linux and Bash, to become facile at command line typing, as the skills will be useful through more than one career.  The mentee diligently took courses and was promoted.  I was thrilled when my mentee privately relayed that one secret of success was proficiency at Bash and Linux.



No comments: