Monday, June 17, 2024

For which purpose?


People sometimes ask me why I prefer to answer surveys or take online training in German instead of English.  English is, after all, my first and best language.  My answer is that I find German more precise, much like the use of Latin in medicine and legal terminology, German is less ambiguous, especially in terminology associated with psychographics.  My buddy Michael recently wrote this fantastic analysis of the ambiguity in our English word "why," His short analysis illustrates issues with the popular Toyota root cause analysis "Five Whys," but also generalizes to many other contexts, especially in product requirements and definition.  Which business outcomes? Which result? To which end?  Go read Michael's entire blog post.  It is eye opening.

No comments: