Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Quick Trip to Philadelphia and Boston

My oldest three teenagers and I spent last weekend on jet planes and rental cars to honor my father for his 90th birthday. The party was near Philadelphia and was well-attended by my cousins. My aunt flew in from Jerusalem for the event. The party was fun. The speeches were moving and my slide show was well-accepted.

I grew up with my cousins as extended family; seeing them all again is always deeply nostalgic, warm, and wonderful.

My oldest, at Reed College in Portland, flew through Seattle to Boston. The three of us met briefly with her at the airport before we boarded our separate red-eye flights to Boston Logan. At Logan we rented a car and drove to Hanscom air field in Bedford where we boarded a private jet for NE Philadelphia airport. I was duly impressed with the “private jet” lifestyle – you drive up to the plane, board, and take off. When we landed 45 minutes later, rental cars greeted the plane as it taxied to the jet aviation building. That evening after the party and festivities, we unwound the same process, driving the rental cars back to the plane, flying to Hanscom, and taking the rentals to my sister's house. My sister fed us amazing foods (filet mignon, fresh fruit, fresh polenta) and my youngest niece crushed us at Wii games. All the kids did their homework around the table. The relaxed Sunday morning with family was even better than the party.

Eventually we headed back to Logan and flew home. I wish we could visit more frequently...






update:


Here are some more photos I just drained from the camera:







No comments: