Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Instant speed reading -- It works!

After years in “stealth mode” as a start-up, Spritz finally launched its application and within a few days dozens of clones popped up all over the interwebs.  Late to the game (as always) I stumbled upon the “squirtbookmarklet, which is a nominal (but un-polished “quirky”) JavaScript re-implementation of the simple Spritz algorithm.  There are already many browser plug-ins and we can expect a calibre plug-in very soon.

The “spritz” algorithm is very easy to implement and shockingly effective.  I anticipate getting past 500 words per minute after a few hours of reading.

The first time I ran squirt I was shocked to discover that my most-comfortable “spritz" style reading speed is 440 – 460 words per minute.  My normal reading speed is about 100.

Like most of us, I have a large and growing collection of unread ebooks waiting for me to read.  Calibre can convert them to HTML or text and I shall now be able to read them 5x faster.   Awesome!

No comments: