Thursday, August 19, 2021

slice of life appeal


In 2017 I posted about an immersive experience of preparing authentic 1949 Twinkies from scratch using 1949 baking pans and a 1949 heavy cream whipping device.  As a preamble, I wrote

I love to experience the "big picture" pattern of other cultures with all of my senses and apperceptions.  I want not only to see the sites when I travel, but also smell the diesel fumes, taste authentic street food, and hear the "flavor" of local dialects.  But more than that I want to feel and viscerally experience the attitudes, values, opinions, and sensibilities of the locals, to "get into their heads."  I love to experience the culture. . .

In that posting I wrote about immersive films that bring out many elements of the slice of life experiences I enjoy.  The book Deacon King Kong is an example of how books can also create these immersive experiences, replete with authentic vocabulary, accented utterances in the dialog, and characters' values or behaviors.

Web comics have become more popular.  Like others locked in our homes, I personally have been spending a little more time viewing them.  Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal had a funny comic today about surly teenagers that reminded me of our recent, fantastic adventure at Crater Lake zipline whose guides are all surly high school teenagers.  Their silly antics added to the fun of flying through the forest canopy.

No comments: