Sunday, July 31, 2022

Complexity & Chaos, cause Crushing Complications


Do you remember when our production systems were less-complicated and easier to debug?  Production Issues were easy to diagnose and it was always faster to recover.  I remember writing an application in a single page of HTML that used server-side include directives in the web server.  The entire application (order form, order acknowledgment receipt, order processing)  is 200 lines of HTML, 4.6KB. Sigh. Pete Hodgeson at Honeycomb wrote an interesting analysis of the giant leaps backwards we have made in the last 25 years because we have piled on so much unneeded complexity in our systems.  Someday I may create a conspiracy theory based on the cui bono (who profits) from this ridiculous inefficiency.  I recommend browsing through Hodgeson's article but not my HTML code or my article.


No comments: