Saturday, February 18, 2023

Will the ESG descend into insignificance?


Will the Evil Search Giant (ESG) descend into insignificance?

If you have time, read Praveen's analysis. Here is my own personal experience using G's consumer products:


I can no longer find anything in Google Search and I have changed my default search engine. I still use google scholar but may switch to specialty sites for scholarly articles as scholar, too, decays into uselessness..


Youtube's ads, censorship, and recommendations have made the platform unusable. I spend 75% less time on youtube and consume more video content from other sources. 


I started using proton.me more and Gmail less. I shall almost certainly switch web site hosting.


Alternatives to the Chrome browser, especially FireFox & Brave are becoming much better every day. I am using Brave more. I already use Firefox on mobile.


I still use  Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc. but I am getting better at Word, Excel, PowerPoint all the time and may switch my personal consumer office apps.


None of Google's video or text chat apps (Buzz? Friend-Connect? Orkut? G+? Hangouts? Jabber? Wave? GVoice? Duo? Meet? GChat?) has never worked. My personal favorite was GrandCentral because it had fax.   Google Meet in particular limits free-tier video calls to a short time and does not work for some folks. Signal is unlimited and works for everyone all the time on all devices. My family and friends have all switched to Signal or Zoom for personal video conferences.  Ten years ago, I lamented the fall of Skype and wrote great things about Hangouts (which was awesome at that time). Now, Skype is making another comeback and will (easily) eclipse  Meet unless the mouse can find its way out of the maze.








No comments: