I remain frustrated, however, by the magic system. The biological systems underlying its fantasy world violate physics. I am equally bothered that generations of supposedly brilliant natural philosophers have apparently discovered none of the basic insights that transformed our own understanding of biology and the physical world, leaving the society trapped in pre-Enlightenment ignorance, suffering, and squalor. Still, Bennett’s characters, dialogue, plotting, and prose are so compelling that I am willing to suspend disbelief. I particularly enjoyed the social dynamics and the tension between individual intelligence and institutional capability.
Ana and Din investigate a seemingly inexplicable biological threat, gradually uncovering an elaborate scheme whose scope and consequences extend far beyond the initial mystery. Their investigation brings them into conflict with an adversary whose preparation and intelligence repeatedly outmaneuver their expectations.
Bennett compensates with compelling characters, intelligent dialogue, inventive plotting, and writing that makes the world’s social and political tensions wonderful literature.
4/5 Stars

No comments:
Post a Comment