Saturday, October 3, 2026

Memoirs of a thinking radish by Peter Medawar (1986)

image.png
Peter Medawar won the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1960, but I know him almost as much for his popular science essays, where wit, intellectual clarity, and unfiltered criticism make even difficult subjects entertaining. Memoirs of a Thinking Radish collects his recollections of childhood and youth, his studies at Oxford, and the research career that eventually brought him international recognition. I particularly enjoyed the contrast between the magnitude of his scientific accomplishments and the deliberately ridiculous title, which reflects the humility running throughout the book.

Medawar gives considerable credit to the collaborators, mentors, colleagues, technicians, and other members of the support network who contributed to his success. His willingness to puncture his own reputation keeps the autobiography from becoming an exercise in self-congratulation, while his sharp observations provide much of its entertainment. I found his account especially interesting because it reveals the human infrastructure behind scientific achievement rather than presenting discovery as the product of solitary genius.

I did not find Memoirs of a Thinking Radish quite as entertaining as Richard Feynman's autobiographical books, whose exuberance and eccentricity make them difficult to match. Nevertheless, I found Medawar's combination of scientific accomplishment, humility, humor, and candid criticism thoroughly enjoyable.

4/5 Stars

No comments: