Sunday, February 17, 2008

Day 3: Run up -- Mitch and Simeon's Excellent Adventure to Berkeley 2/15/08 - 2/19/08

I went running on the Berkeley campus, trying to reach the top of the hill where I remember the Berkeley Hall of Science is. When I got there, I noticed I could cross the street and keep running up the hill so I kept going and found myself in some weird mini-campuses that had U.S. government vehicles and tall cyclone fences topped with barbed wire. I also encountered lots of deer and poison oak along the wilderness trails. On the way down I kept getting stuck inside the compound fences and needed to back track quite a bit until I found a street that dropped back down to the main campus. I ran about an hour longer than I planned but I felt much better. I also ran around inside the main campus once I got down the hill.

During the run I got a call from Simeon; he has advanced to the later rounds of one of his events so he will be home late again tonight. The later he calls to get picked up, the better because it means he has advanced further towards the championship. He speculates that he will not reach the final rounds of his other event but he won't know until all championship round pairings are posted. Most judges do not reveal who won the round and Simeon has no coach here. He linked up with the Bainbridge Island team and is having dinner with them. It would be great if we could leave at a reasonable hour tomorrow but it would be even better if we had to stay because he advances so far in the Lincoln-Douglass event.

We shall see what happens later tonight...

No comments: