I discovered that Reactor Magazine, formerly Tor.com, had published several short stories set in Martha Wells's beloved Murderbot universe, and I promptly grabbed and devoured all of them. Much like most "Murderbot" fans, I love Wells's strange collection of SecUnits, augmented humans, artificial intelligences, corporations, awe-and-wonder space opera, and drama.
Rapport: Friendship, Solidarity, Communion, Empathy,” follows A.R.T. and its crew rather than Murderbot. Set after A.R.T.'s encounter with Murderbot, the story gives readers a welcome opportunity to see A.R.T. wrestling with the consequences of that relationship from its own perspective. A.R.T. has enormous capabilities with distinctly personal attachments, anxieties, loyalties, and blind spots; watching ART process what happened with Murderbot gives the relationship an additional dimension. The other stories likewise provide small but satisfying expansions of the universe, filling in corners and adding more well-written space-opera universe building that the main sequence necessarily leaves unexplored.
I enjoyed the collection; Wells can make even a relatively small episode feel consequential within the larger architecture of the series. Seeing familiar characters from unfamiliar angles and stories in the universe are still great even when Murderbot is offstage.
5/5 Stars

No comments:
Post a Comment