I picked up The Tainted Cup because its sequel won the 2026 Hugo, and friends told me I needed the first book to understand the setting. Unfortunately the book's central biological premise violates basic chemistry and physics at nearly every level: bamboo, the fastest-growing plant, extends only about 10 micrometers per second. True biological growth occurs on vastly slower scales than Bennett's world requires. The Leviathans cannot exist; biochemical locks and keys are completely impossible; and plant-driven transformations are not speculative biology. Instead they are fantasy wearing scientific vocabulary and hide the inconsistent magic system.
These foundational shortcomings are particularly frustrating because the writing, characters, plot, and dramatic structure all worked for me. I could follow the investigation and appreciate the world-building, but the pseudo-science repeatedly pushed me out of the story; every biological impossibility reminded me that the underlying systems could not function. I can accept invented technology or unfamiliar physical laws in science fiction, but I need internal mechanisms that remain compatible with at least recognizable chemistry, biology, or physics.
I enjoyed the craft and much of the story, but the central conceit prevented me from inhabiting the world. I had hoped to discover why the sequel attracted such attention, but I found a fantasy novel whose scientific framing made it harder, rather than easier, for me to enjoy the considerable skill behind the narrative. I may not read the second book that won the Hugo.2/5 Stars

No comments:
Post a Comment