Friday, October 4, 2013

Taipei, Shanghai, Zurich Day 2

Tokyo Narita has awesome Internet and great facilities.  It is one of the most comfortable airports through which to transit.

2013-10-04 17.16.48

Buddhist monk in saffron robes, Goth, suit-and-tie, tourists al shopping duty free at Tokyo Narita Airport 10/3/2013.  I have added the 6-mile back-alley all-day walking tour of Kyoto with a private docent to my “bucket list” of things I want to see before I die.

2013-10-04 20.40.54

The weather flying into Taipei was very bumpy since there is another “typhoon” (hurricane) system hitting South Asia.  The food was not as good as the trans-pacific fare but not bad. 

The word “serviceable” keeps coming to mind for this Taipei chapter.  The food was serviceable.  Taiwan natives’ English is “serviceable.”  The transportation is “serviceable.”  The airport terminal is Spartan but serviceable.  My apartment is inconvenient but serviceable.  The toilet+shower bathroom is odd but serviceable.

At the Taipei airport, I:

  • took local Taiwan money out of a cash machine,
  • bought a “far east-tone” pre-paid SIM card for my phone,
  • called / texted my daughter,
  • called my airbnb landlord to meet me at the Tai-Power metro stop, and
  • hopped in a taxi

fareastone  Taipei_Songshan_Airport_1st_Terminal_Building_1st_Floor_Concourse

Everything went as smoothly as I had planned and hoped!  Fortune favors the prepared. 

2013-10-04 21.37.39

It took about an hour; the area where my daughter lives is very far from the Airport.  The taxi driver and my airbnb landlord were most helpful.  I checked into my room and called my daughter.  Again:  Everything went swimmingly!

2013-10-04 22.03.58 My daughter and I met at the metro stop, went shopping for essentials for my apartment, ate, chatted, then I had to bathe and sleep!

Next up – my airbnb apartment in Taipei

No comments: