Monday, October 7, 2013

Taipei Shanghai Zurich day 5 – campus tour

2013-10-07 12.54.44b

The vegan buffet lunch was quite good (a bit greasy but fresh) with large quantities for $1.50.  We ate outside in the sweltering heat, with sweat dripping down our faces and clothes sticking to our bodies. My hair frizzed up in the wet heat.

After lunch, my daughter showed me around the huge library where she goes to study. They have a large archive of physical maps and charts that patrons can unroll and examine.  Some of them are very old.  Many are from Japan.  This one is pre-WW2 era, Japanese.

2013-10-07 12.45.22

The library also has a large “media room” with dozens of stations equipped with vinyl LP record players, cassette players, DVD players / burners, and other hi-fi equipment.  They post a large poster weekly of which movie DVDs are most-checked-out of the library by the students.

2013-10-07 12.40.31 floor plan of the library2013-10-07 12.41.00 Entry-way

2013-10-07 12.40.46 architectural model much-beloved by the locals

 

Then my daughter had to get back to her afternoon classes so I headed back.

I finally found a taxi to take me to the airport.  Enterprising drivers post their contact information online and I was able to email a few of them with Google Translate. In Taipei it appears impossible to book a Taxi in advance – everyone calls at the moment they need a cab, never sooner.  No driver or dispatch operator speaks anything but heavily-accented Mandarin; I find this situation odd, since there are so many of us foreigners running around.  I hope I make my flight.

No comments: