Sunday, October 6, 2013

Taipei, Shanghai, Zurich Day 5 - Working

By pointing and hand signals I was able to get that awesome $1.50 chili Eggs with sweet tofu drink from the restaurant 3 doors down from my apartment.

2013-10-07 08.38.43

They do a brisk business.

I spent the morning online doing work.  There was some FUD about the typhoon situation in Taipei and Shanghai.  However it moved quickly in-land so the winds are dying.  Now it’s just dumping too much water.  The local weather here in Taipei is sunny this (Monday) morning.

Because my Microsoft Lync system is still broken at work I have been using Google Voice (GV).  Despite GV’s recent switch to the clunky “Hangouts” for dialing out from a computer, it has become even more awesome.  And the Internet here in Taiwan is extremely low-latency, high-bandwidth, and clean.

image

All of the apps and services in GV are free except international calling; the cost per-minute for international calls is much less expensive than anything I have seen.  GV’s speech to text-into-email for voice mail and the whole bidirectional text message (SMS) to email gateway thingy are very cool.  If Lync continues to be so flakey I may start using it more when I am back.

If you are inside eBay corp, here is the current draft of a document I was editing.  Please let me know what I missed or what is unclear.

If you are not on corp you will see a sad face in the iframe.

This afternoon I am meeting my daughter on campus for lunch.

No comments: