Saturday, August 22, 2026

Across the Sea of Suns by Gregory Benford (2004)

image.png

I started this book and discovered in a few pages that I had read it in 1984. I remembered the whole story so I put it down.  Benford’s technical assurance, including his command of orbital mechanics, radiation physics, and alien biochemistry, gives the novel an authentic familiar Benford texture. Yet Benford's awesome hard science alone cannot soften the narrative’s crushing accumulation of depressing loss.

Benford braids two strands across this Galactic Center installment. On Earth, ocean organisms reveal themselves as hostile technology. One type are swarming predators; the other are calculating skimmers that manipulate humanity into a nuclear exchange. The war destroys our high-tech civilization. Out in space, Nigel Walmsley pursues ancient civilizations, edging toward answers to the Fermi paradox only to open a deeper mystery at a terrifying scale. I am still uncertain what governs where this coercive galactic civilization originated or why they destroyed the high-tech civilizations on earth and the Nigel encounters in the story.

The novel’s power lies in Benford’s refusal to lean on easy villainy. The skimmers act not from malice, but like bureaucrats executing a mandate; destroying one changes nothing about the policy. Walmsley serves not as a hero winning victories, but as a witness accumulating evidence, rewarded only with curiosity rather than any agency, triumphs, or insights.

Ultimately, my response splits between admiration and appetite. I respect the great imagination and science, but I lack the appetite for four hundred pages offering minimal relief from despair. The book is an accomplished, punishing read that rewards patience with insight, rarely but no comfort. 2/5 Stars


No comments: