Sunday, August 16, 2026

Me and the Cloud Part II: Tailscale

image.png
I am very late to the Tailscale party.

I have been messing with Linux, networks, VPNs, firewalls, NAT and remote machines for decades. I have built and maintained all sorts of elaborate kludges to make computers talk to each other.

Then I installed Tailscale.

Wow!
This experience is how networking is supposed to work.
Install it. Log in. Your machines are connected privately and securely.
That's basically it.

No port forwarding. No firewall gymnastics. No public IP address. No VPN server to maintain. No certificate archaeology. No mysterious configuration files that worked perfectly until you touched them six months later.

Tailscale just puts your machines on a private network -- elegantly.

 # 
 
I have a free, powerful Oracle Cloud VM.
  • 24 GB RAM
  • Four ARM CPUs
  • 200 GB storage
  • $0/month

I installed Tailscale on it, then installed SFTPGo.

Suddenly I had a private cloud file server.

I installed Tailscale on my Windows machine, Mac and phones. The apps are brain-dead simple. A few minutes later, everything could reach the Oracle machine over my private Tailscale network to up- and download files.

SFTPGo provides SFTP, WebDAV and a web interface, so I can access the files from my computers, phones or a browser.
  • 200 GB of private cloud storage.
  • Accessible everywhere.
  • Free
  • No exposure to the public Internet.
image.png
Tailscale solved another problem.

My free-tier GCP machine now charges for external IPv4 addresses.

So I installed Tailscale --  Problem solved.

No public IP needed. My instance is simply another machine on my private network.
The remarkable thing is the lack of remarkable things Tailscale has simplicity and elegance instead of exotic networking capabilities. There is no drama.

The configuration is elegant and intuitive. Defaults are sensible. The mobile apps are simple. Everything works as expected or even better than expected.

After spending time in the public clouds, this simplicity is shocking.

Oracle: 200 GB of storage for free but makes me learn about compartments, availability domains, OCIDs, instance IDs, VNICs and approximately seventeen different kinds of PEM keys.

Tailscale has a button. Press it and everything works.
 
I am late to the party.

But Tailscale may be the best thing I've discovered in years.

No comments: