Saturday, August 8, 2026

Trust by Herman Diaz (2022)

image.png

Trust by Hernan Diaz (2022) turned out to be another unexpectedly fantastic read, and a particularly welcome second birthday present from my sister. I have always enjoyed the "Rashomon" narrative device of presenting the same underlying events through competing perspectives, but Diaz uses the technique with unusual structural discipline: each successive account does more than add information; it subtly destabilizes what I thought I understood about the preceding version. The gradual accumulation of apparently disconnected details creates a slow intellectual tension that culminates in a sudden reconfiguration of the entire story. I found the delayed realization especially satisfying because Diaz trusts the reader to recognize the implications rather than announcing them.

I also enjoyed the remarkable depth and breadth of the characters, along with the immersive "slice-of-life" detail of the 1920s and 1930s settings. Financial markets, Manhattan society, domestic life, art, and personal relationships are rendered with enough specificity that I felt immersed in the social world rather than merely observing a historical backdrop. Diaz's prose also contributed substantially to my enjoyment: his writing is controlled, elegant, and stylistically varied, with each narrative perspective possessing its own texture and implied relationship to the truth. I found Trust especially successful because its formal construction and subject matter reinforce one another; the novel asks how wealth, power, memory, and authorship shape the stories people tell about themselves, while its own structure makes me experience the instability of those stories firsthand.

5/5 Stars


No comments: