Saturday, August 15, 2026

The Nowhere Man by Gregg Hurwitz (2017)

image.png

I loved the first book in Gregg Hurwitz's Evan Smoak series, so I approached The Nowhere Man with considerable enthusiasm. I found the sequel kept the first novel's clean prose, brisk dialogue, and kinetic action. Even so, I found the book less satisfying, because Hurwitz trades ingenious action and covert problem-solving for sustained suffering and psychological torment.

I trace my main frustration to Evan's prolonged torture and the story's excavation of his traumatic childhood. I appreciate psychological pressure in a thriller, especially when a villain attacks a protagonist's identity rather than his body; but I found Evan's anguish burdensome rather than illuminating. I also found the antagonists implausibly dominant: instead of the cat-and-mouse tactics that drew me into the first novel, I watched Evan absorb punishment while superhuman villains piled up victories. I found the late contrivance resurrecting a character who died in the first novel unpersuasive. Rather than a satisfying, well-earned surprise, I felt the resurrection worked as an artificial device for extending the story.

I still enjoyed Hurwitz's thriller machinery: I found the confrontations, dialogue, pacing, and action entertaining, and I still find Evan an appealing protagonist. I attribute my disappointment to the series' direction rather than its execution; I wanted the resourceful, high-stakes thriller that made the first novel fun, with less torture and childhood trauma. I hope the third installment restores that balance, giving Evan room to outthink and outmaneuver his adversaries rather than simply endure them.

3/5 Stars

No comments: