Saturday, August 8, 2026

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (1924)

image.png
I was surprised by how closely Zamyatin's We anticipated Orwell's 1984: nearly every major dystopian theme is already present, particularly the conflict between an omnipotent state and the irreducible complexity of human nature. I found Zamyatin's achievement especially striking because he was writing in 1924, before Stalin's regime had fully developed the apparatus he seemed to anticipate. The novel's vision of scientific management, centralized planning, bureaucratic rationality, and socially engineered conformity reads in retrospect like an uncanny prefiguration of the Soviet system that followed. I also recognized a broader pattern: repressive regimes repeatedly exhibit the same institutional symptoms and provoke remarkably similar psychological and social reactions among the people subjected to them.

Some of Zamyatin's science-fiction devices have inevitably aged, yet most remain surprisingly effective after a century. I found his attempts to ground political and metaphysical certainty in mathematics less convincing; mathematical truth has a distinctive epistemic status that does not transfer neatly to moral, political, or social propositions. A broader appeal to "science" might have made the intellectual conceit more persuasive. The narrative itself, however, gathers considerable momentum, particularly during the final third, when the conflict between individual desire and collective control becomes increasingly dangerous. I thought Zamyatin's greatest strength was his ability to render the struggle rather than merely announce it: D-503's transformation from an intellectually obedient functionary into a romantic, irrational, and increasingly self-aware individual gives the abstract conflict an intimate psychological form. The adversary is consequently more interesting than a conventional collection of villains; the real antagonist is an entire system that has converted bureaucratic rationality into an ideology and treats deviations from its mathematical conception of order as defects in the human organism. I found We less polished than 1984, but historically more astonishing for having anticipated so much of the dystopian vocabulary that later writers would make familiar.

4/5 Stars


No comments: