I enjoyed Out of the Dark considerably more than the disappointing second installment. Once again, our intrepid hero faces seemingly impossible odds and, once again, manages to triumph through a combination of determination, ingenuity, and violence. The series continues to play with the boundaries between enemy and ally: an antagonist killed in the first book, resurrected in the second becomes an ally here, exactly as I had anticipated. I am curious whether that character will remain part of the story going forward.
The hero's deep cover relationship with his love interest developed nicely, giving the story an emotional thread that complemented instead of distracting from the action. More importantly, Hurwitz delivers the thriller sequences with considerable skill; the confrontations, escapes, and reversals maintained the momentum that I found lacking in the previous book.
Out of the Dark restored my enthusiasm for the series. It is unapologetically entertaining, moves briskly, and delivers the kind of improbable heroics I expect from this sort of thriller without becoming tedious. I am looking forward to seeing where Hurwitz takes the characters next.
4/5 Stars.

No comments:
Post a Comment